What’s going on at Walt Disney World in June? The temperatures are heating up, kids are getting out of school, and there’s lots to do at the House of Mouse, one of the world’s top destinations for summer fun. Let’s take a look at two big events in Orlando.
The first weekend in June, tens of thousands of gay and lesbian couples will head to Orlando for fun in the hot Florida sun. What started out as a “Gay Day” at Disney in the early 1990s has turned into an unofficial week long event with activities at Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and Sea World.
Looking for more info? You can go to gaydays.com.
You can also contact the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Community Center of Central Florida at 407-228-8272 or visit www.thecenterorlando.com.
I checked out the site, and the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando At Sea World is the primary Gay Days accomodations site. Set on 28 lush acres of native palm trees, with tropical fountains and sparkling pools, you can bring the whole ‘family’ under one roof. There will be 22 pool parties that are free to all registered hotel guests. The 14th Gay Days Expo will be located right at the hotel entrance, and this year it will be larger than ever.
Gay Days Schedule of Events for 2012
Visit the Gay Days Main Calendar callendar for a very specific list including times, locations, prices for events, because there are a ton of activities including
- swimming and pool parties galore with DJs
- free HIV Rapid Testing and Hepatitis A&B vaccines from the Orange County Health Dept.
- outdoor vendors
- Art of Gay Days display
- Fluorescent body paint party
- Open MIC Competition featuring Singers, Rappers, & Poets with a $250 prize
- auto show
- comedy shows
- basketball game
Walt Disney World Unofficial Schedule for the theme parks
Thursday, May 31st: Gay Days® at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
Friday, June 1st: Gay Days® at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
—Riptide party at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon from 8 PM – 2 AM. Go to
www.onemagicalweekend.com for more info.
Saturday, June 2nd: Gay Day® at Magic Kingdom 21st Anniversary
Sunday June 3rd: Gay Day® at Epcot
Star Wars Weekends
Star Wars Weekends are an annual special event at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park that celebrates the Star Wars movies and the animated television series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday of each weekend, you can join celebrities and characters for special shows, panels, presentations and more.
Remember that Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park admission is required, and availability is limited for some events, which could be cancelled at any time.
Special Event Merchandise
At “Darth’s Mall,” you will find all sorts of Star Wars collectibles created just for this year’s event. Located adjacent to Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, Darth’s Mall is open only during Star Wars Weekends.
At Tatooine Traders, you can to build and name your own Astromech droid action figure at the Droid Factory.
Don’t miss the Carbon Freeze Me Experience located in the ABC Sound Studio. Purchase your likeness frozen in carbonite through the DTechMe process created especially for Disney Parks. You should definitely make reservations by calling (407) WDW-TECH or (407) 939-8324 for details.
The Return of Star Tours.
- The 3-D! Star Tours—The Adventures Continue ride takes Jedi from Tatooine to Coruscant and beyond. With multiple different missions, you never know where the Force may take you.
- You can have a memento signed by Star Wars celebrities attending the event, with only one autograph per guest. Use your Disney’s Fastpass to ensure your place in line at the celebrity autograph kiosk outside the Front Gate entrance. Make sure you grab a Fastpass before the park opens, as quantities are extremely limited and are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Each guest must be present to receive a Fastpass, you may not get a Fastpass for other members of your party, and you cannot save a place in any Fastpassline for other party members.
Train Like a Jedi.
- Children under 12 can practice their lightsaber skills and prepare to do battle with Darth Vader himself at the Jedi Training Academy. In the Padawan Mind Challenge, they can test their wits before the Jedi Council.
- At the end of each day, you can enjoy music, comedy and dancing at the Hyperspace Hoopla. Bring your cameras to photograph Ewoks, Wookiees, stormtroopers, Jawas and otherworldly creatures.
I still can’t get over Mickey Mouse dressed like a Jedi.
There’s some event going on at Walt Disney World in June, and we hope you have a blast if you are able to attend.
Thanks to Mouze Kateerz staff for their great Star Wars weekends photos. Melissa R. is busy planning vacations for Magical Memories Travel and writing for www.mickeybymel.com, Bob Angelo dropped his photos off from the popular Mouse Chat podcast. You can find him on his Facebook, if he’s not hanging out at the theme parks.
Like to read about Disney topics?